October Gardening To-Dos
In the Garden
- Clean up and winterize.
- Prune fruit trees.
- Divide and add new perennials, and prune back existing ones.
- Plant ground covers, shrubs and trees.
- Choose and plant crocus, daffodil and tulip bulbs.
- Rake leaves and use them to mulch around tender perennials.
Fruits & Veggies
- Compost garden waste as you tidy for winter.
- Sow a cover crop such as crimson clover, vetch or field peas in empty garden spaces to replenish nitrogen to the soil. Plow or mix the cover crop into the soil in the spring.
- Finish fall lawn renovation, thatching, aerating, liming and overseeding.
- Turn off irrigation system and drain for the winter.
Around the House
- Winterize fountains and water features.
- Sharpen shovels and tools.
- Get out cozy throws, seasonal candles, and add an autumn wreath to the front door.
- Stay social and invite friends over for an easy and warm meal like chili.
- Prepare for rainy days by hanging a small towel by each door for your four-legged friend’s feet.
DAVID AUSTIN (available in March)
Olivia Rose Austin
The Generous Gardener
The Lark Ascending
The Poet's Wife
Flower Carpet Coral
Flower Carpet Pink
Flower Carpet Red
Touch Of Class
Blanc Double De Coubert
Head Over Heels
Love & Peace
BOLD = New for 2023