Skip to content
April Gardening To-Dos
In the Garden
- It’s garden go-time! Plant annual seeds of asters, cosmos, marigolds, and zinnias.
- Plant perennials, rhododendrons and azaleas.
- Create colorful spring containers for your front door and patio.
- Take stored fuchsias and geraniums outdoors; cover if frost returns.
- Pull those weeds. Finish garden clean-up and amending the soil.
Fruits & Veggies
- Transplant lettuces, salad greens and cold-season veggie starts (broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale, chard, beets) into the garden.
- Sow carrots and parsnips.
- Thin direct-seeded crops as they sprout.
- Late in the month, plant squash, zucchini, pumpkin and cucumber seeds indoors in large peat pots, easing the to transfer to the garden when it warms up.
- Start your garden log now while spring energy reigns!
- Use an organic fertilizer in late April, using a 3-1-2 ratio formulation.
- Mow regularly.
- Practice grasscycling with a mulch mower, which returns the clippings to the lawn.
Around the House
- Clean-up water gardens.
- Treat indoor plants to some organic fertilizer.
- Freshen up your front door with a fragrant herb or live succulent wreath.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.